free hit counter javascript magdalena's xtal ball: Research

Welcome to my little bubble on the net. This site can't foretell the future but hopefully it will catch you up on what is happening in my life. Enjoy!!!

Research

I received my Doctoral dissertation from McGill University from the of Biochemistry in the laboratory of Dr. A.M. Berghuis. My research was in the field of X-ray crystallography focusing on the understanding of antibiotic resistance enzymes. Now, as a Postdoctoral Fellow at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) in the laboratory of Dr. B.K. Shoichet, I am involved with the Enzyme Function Initiative (EFI) project.  This is a multi institutional, collaborative endeavor that has been set up to identify an efficient work flow to reliably identify in vitro enzymatic activity and in vivo metabolic function from sequence.  My specific contribution to the EFI project is to computationally predict the function of enzymes based on the complementary of metabolic substrates to the three dimensional protein structure.